There are so many details when it comes to planning a wedding. One important vendor to keep in mind is who you hire for your bridal hair and makeup. Why? When you look back at your wedding pictures, the one thing you will notice is how you looked more than anything else! But how do you go about choosing the best one for you and your makeup and hair needs? It takes some time and a little bit of research. Once you narrow it down to a few you, make sure you know what to ask. Here are my top ten questions to ask before you book a bridal makeup artist!
Will you be available on my wedding date (or week)?
This question can be answered two different ways. The first is before you start with any type of questioning and decide if you want to book the artist, make sure they are available on your wedding dates. Many bridal makeup artists tend to book up months, even a year in advance. You also want to consider if your wedding is during a holiday. Some popular wedding weekends are Thanksgiving and New Years, and artists can book those up first.
The other question is will that specific artist be available for your wedding date (or week). Many times, the main or head artist can be booked up. When that happens, they have their top team members attend to other bridal inquires. There are many makeup artists that have teams, which is great because they can accommodate the larger wedding parties and be available to more brides. So make sure you ask the right question! If your heart is set on the main or head artist, then make sure you ask for their specific availability.
- What all services do you provide?
You must ask if the makeup artist you desire provides all the services you are looking for. An average bridal package consists of makeup, hair styling, and dupatta/veil draping and setting. You can also inquire if they offer any special bridal packages with selective services such as touch up kits, skin consultations, or even collaborating on the desired look
- What do you offer to help your brides stay organized leading up to the wedding?
We all know that there are so many components and details throughout the wedding process. Making sure that your makeup artist provides a customized wedding timeline will help put your mind at ease. Communication is very important. Periodic emails can be very beneficial, so no detail is missed. At Lilac Bridal Beauty, we provide a detailed consultation that goes over all of your bridal needs and wants and also give you tips and information on how to best prepare for your special day!
- What all products will be used? And will you be using your own products or will I be supplying them?
Majority of the bridal makeup artists out there have their own makeup kit and tools. They also supply some of the best products and brands that are best for brides. If you happen to be allergic to certain brands or wish to use only selective products for your special day, you must convey this information to your makeup artist ahead of time. This will help them better prepare and give you top quality service.
- How do you charge for your services and what are the terms of payment?
You must know about the charges and payment terms before you make the final booking. Always make sure there is a bridal contract that contains all the information and details that have been discussed between you and your makeup artist. Some things to consider when it comes to payment would be:
- Price of service and what it includes: once you receive your bridal package make sure you go over it to see if includes everything you are wanting for your big day.
- Total amount to be charged: this is different from the price of service because the total amount can include other items such as travel and accommodations (if it’s not already included in your bridal package).
- Payment terms: Top quality bridal makeup artists will draft up a detailed contract that lays out the payment terms and deadlines, so there is no confusion for either party. Everything is straight forward.
- Percentage of advance deposit: There are many makeup artists out there that require an advance deposit or retainer to hold your wedding date. It can range anywhere from 25% to 50% of your total amount.
- Cancellation policy and charges: It is always important to know what happens if, by chance, the wedding were not to happen for any sort of reason. Make sure this is clear and understood.
- Will I have to travel to your makeup studio or do you travel to the wedding venue?
Knowing whether you have to travel to the makeup studio will allow you to plan your time for the wedding day accordingly. On the other hand, there are many makeup artists that travel to the location of the wedding, so that will save a lot of time. We all know how scarce time is during wedding week!
- Do you offer a bridal trial before the wedding?
This is so important!! You must ask if the artist offers a bridal trial before the wedding. This will help you understand your style, know more about the colors that would look good on you, and the products that would suit your skin type. You can also see how your makeup and hair will look with the dress or lengha that you have chosen for your special day. Many artists do not include this in their bridal packages, so make sure you ask for this as an additional service. Lilac Bridal Beauty has bridal packages that includes a bridal trial, so there is no worrying about how you are going to look on your wedding day.
- Do you have a team of makeup artists, or will you be the only artist who will do my makeup on the wedding day?
This is necessary if you are booking the makeup artist for not just yourself, but your bridal party, family members and friends too. A professional bridal makeup artist can accommodate about 2-3 people on their own, if given enough time. If there are 4 or more people, then there is usually a team that comes to help.
- Would you be carrying extra accessories for my appointment, or should I get them myself?
Let your makeup artist know about all the accessories you would like to wear on your wedding day. This may include fake eyelashes (which most artists provide), hair extensions, hair accessories, and even flowers, amongst other things. You must decide who would be getting all these accessories in advance to avoid last minute hassles.
- Do you have a Plan B in case of an emergency or if you fall sick on the wedding day?
Emergencies can happen to anybody at any given time, but that should not bring your celebration to a halt. You must ask if the artist has a plan B in place to make sure that your festivities proceeds smoothly. This is usually stated or conveyed in the bridal contract.
These are just a few questions to help get you started on your wedding journey. Don’t refrain from asking more questions! Make sure you have all the information you need before you make the final booking. We all know the wedding process can be overwhelming. Just make sure you take it one step at a time, and you will be fine!